Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Butterscotch Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I feel like I am almost always in the mood for chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are my baking comfort food. I had been wanting to try this recipe by Nick Malgieri for quite some time now because I am always curious to see how a person interprets such a classic cookie. As soon as these were out of the oven Alex tasted one of the cookies and asked, "Vanilla? What's different about these?" I told him that it was a combination of the dark and semi-sweet chocolates and that the recipe really highlighted the flavors of the brown sugar. He looked at me blankly and proceeded to eat 3 more cookies. I think just saying that I used a new recipe would have been sufficient information for him, even though he asked about vanilla.

Butterscotch Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Source: Nick Malgieri's The Modern Baker

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
6 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate cut into chunks (I used dark chocolate)
6 oz milk chocolate, cut into chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Stir flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.

Combine the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat on medium speed until just mixed, then beat in egg. Overbeating will make the cookies rise, then flatten during baking, instead of remaining risen and moist.

Use a large rubber spatula to stir in the flour mixture, then the chocolate.

Drop teaspoons (I did Tbsp) of the dough 2-3 inches apart on the prepared pans. Bake cookies until they are spread, well risen, and golden, about 15 minutes. About halfway through baking place the pan from the lower rack to the upper one and vice versa.

Remove from oven and slide the parchment papers off the pans to cool the cookies.

Delicious chocolate.
How can anyone resist that?

2 comments:

Gigi said...

The cookies look perfect! Great job.

We Are Never Full said...

ok,now this is the 2nd post i've read and i don't know why i'm torturing myself like this. i haven't had breakfast - why am i looking at these cakes and cookies!?